Saturday, May 7, 2016

A Letter to Those Who Know Better, but Might Just be Trying to Help

It's officially been a year since we started testing Liam for what we didn't know then to be Growth Hormone Deficiency. It's been about 4 months since Oliver showed his first signs of Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. Going through these things as parents is so stressful, overwhelming and confusing at times. It's almost like a grieving process we go through knowing things will never be the same as before a diagnosis. It's hard to know what to do when the doctor sits down and goes over the options, how unfair that we are even in this place! (Some thoughts I've had at one doctor appointment after the other) we are completely overloaded with information while one of us is trying to take in and the other is wrangling a toddler that is tired of pokes and being in one room for longer than 15 minutes. Every single small, tiny issue- like my older son who gets less attention and acts out at home when Oliver hurts and just wants to be held, or the 15th bill for a huge amount that gets set on top of the mountain of other medical bills that are hoping to be paid one day- small stresses that add to the huge ones. Today I finally broke. I finally was so sad and upset that I cried and balled and pleaded with God to come again to this earth for us. That maybe there would be no more pain for my kids, I don't mind going through my pain- having Crohn's- but my kids, please stop this pain. Danny is such a sweet and gracious husband. As he listened and listened to me he said something that I know came from God, he said, " if my kids have to suffer in this life so they don't have to suffer for eternity, praise God." Not that Danny doesn't struggle with our kids suffering, he does, more than any other thing he hates to see his boys suffer but he has an eternal perspective. And that's what I needed. Praise God for that. I also realized that one of my biggest struggles from the beginning of my kids medical issues has been opinions. Even since I became pregnant with Liam. You know, do this not that, feed them this not that, you're a good mom for this a bad mom for that. Those opinions and with parenting I was able to just let it go and not worry about it. But for some reason, with these issues now, it has not been ok. I hear everyday, really, everyday that I need to do something else, something different. That Danny I shouldn't do the steroid shots because they'll ruin our baby's adrenal glands or that these medications they want to give him will kill him (really I've been told these things) or when I'm told to go gluten free or dairy free or sugar free or tomato free or corn free. Or that the pain meds will ruin his liver or that we need to do more testing and that he probably has a leaky gut or too much yeast or not getting enough vitamins. Maybe we are using too many chemicals to clean our house? Please know that I know you're trying to help. Thank you. But to parents that want the ABSOLUTE BEST for our boys, we are doing everything possible to help them. Telling us that we aren't doing a good job or that we are making them sicker is devastating. It makes us question our intuition which has been right every time. You know why it has been right every time?! Because that little voice in my head and heart that pushed me against so many people to test Liam was right and the little voice that told me and Danny to push for testing for Oliver was right. Because it was the fierce and always knowing voice of GOD pushing us. We believe this wholeheartedly. It was NOT us, it was our sovereign God, who is the maker of each cell of our boys and has ordained that they would have these ailments. We trust God 100% with their care and we pray through each and every decision. Please, your ideas are great and we appreciate them but just let them be that, don't push anymore once I say thank you and I'll look into it, please don't bring it up again unless I ask. I am tired and weary sometimes and very sensitive to people thinking this is our fault. Our good God has already used these trials to further His kingdom and if He puts that product that you sell on our hearts we will totally come to you and do our research. You know what helps and encourages and lifts us up the most? When you tell us you're praying. Please pray for us, our hearts, Liam's growth and Oliver's joints. We are so thankful to each person that prays and loves on us. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your heart Lauren. I found it completely overwhelming as a new mother with all the opinions- so I can't imagine a whole fresh round of it when it comes to medical issues. You love your boys, and doing your very best. Just as when their very little it takes resting in that, and the love and sovereignty of God- it's what is needed now. It sounds like you and Danny already know that, but it can be hard to rest in it everyday when you are continually pushed and pressed. Praying for you all in this hard time. Hugs from me, Danielle Williams (Cooper ��)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are all in my daily prayers. You are wonderful, compassionate parents. Your faith is strong and will help and guide you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are all in my daily prayers. You are wonderful, compassionate parents. Your faith is strong and will help and guide you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren thank you for sharing! Your boys and you and Danny are in my prayers. I pray for healing, strength, wisdom and perseverance. It takes so much obedience to follow and hear Gods voice in the midst of everyone around you telling you this and that but it sounds like you are being obedient to the lord! You and Danny were given these boys for a reason and God knows best always - he brought you here and will walk with you through it all. Keep on on trusting in him sister! God never gives us more than we can handle he knows us better than we know ourselves - trust in him! He goes before you and will be with you! He will never leave you. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete